Rye Post Office
Official records show that the first Post Office was opened on the 18th January 1858 as Tootgarook Post Office using number 165. There is, however some possibility that the Post office operated for some time from the school or teacher’s residence of what was known as the Tootgarook Common School with the teacher Thomas W. Courtney acting as post master as well as school master. This cannot be verified.
The name was changed to Rye 1st September 1870. At this time Mr George Mitchell was in charge and that year was paid a salary of 15 pound per annum and the next year it was increased to 20 pound. In that year also the records show that 1639 letters and 1160 newspapers were handled in the office. In 1863 the estimated population was only 68.
• Note: Rye was gazetted as a town in 1861 but was known as Tootgarook for many years afterwards.
Photo of first Post Office, located beside Rye RSL and demolished c.1990’s Affectionately known by many locals as Miss Douglas’ house.
From “Rye, A Book of Memories”, Nell Arnold 1985.